For a more in-depth look at self-publishing costs, check out How Much Does Self-Publishing Cost? The Ultimate Guide.
One of the most common questions we’re asked from authors looking into self-publishing is: how much does it cost? The truth is, the costs of self-publishing vary wildly and are highly dependent on which publishing route you take (eBook vs POD vs traditional printing), your personal skills and abilities (can you design your own cover or interior layout?) and a myriad of other factors that are as individual as the author herself.
So, we want to hear from our author friends: how much does it cost to self-publish a book? Tell us:
- Approximately how much have you spent on all phases of publishing your book (editing, design, publishing, marketing, etc)?
- What format was your book published in (eBook/print/both)?
- Where did you spend the most money? Was it worth it?
- Looking back, where do you wish you spent MORE?
- What cost more than you originally anticipated? What cost less?
- Time is money, too — how much total time do you think you’ve spent on your book? Include all phases of publishing, or break it down into phases.
- Was your investment worth it (in terms of money, time or both)?
To join the discussion, please leave a comment below addressing any (or all) of the above questions. Also, mention the discussion to your indie author friends — we’d love to get varied input! Note: We know that money is a super-personal issue, so, of course, just share whatever insight and information you feel comfortable with.