Note: The podcast will now be posted biweekly on Wednesdays, putting the next show on 6/23.
A great show this week as we discuss the need for indepedent reviews of self-published titles and share our tips on getting the biggest bang for your design buck. Plus, we discuss the pros and cons of including pop culture references in your work and share our author blog and resource of the week — take a listen and let us know what you think!
- Intro/Outro Music – Winner by Jamie Foxx feat. Justin Timberlake
- 00:43 – 01:30 | What’s Shannon Reading? Harlan Coben’s Caught
- 01:30 – 03:42 | Pros and Cons of using pop culture references in your writing
- 03:42 – 07:32 | News: Discussion of John Betcher’s post An Open Letter to Amazon.com addressing the need for independent reviews of self-published books
- 07:32 – 14:52 | Feature: Getting the Most Bang for Your Design Buck, including:
- Researching more than price
- The importance of up-front communication
- Finding the courage to be honest about your likes and dislikes
- Trusting and respecting the designer’s experience and expertise
- 15:02 – 16:27 | New schedule announcement and discussion
- 16:27 – 17:21 | Author Blog and Resource of the Week
- 17:22 – 19:57 | This week’s recap and next week’s preview
- 20:42 – 21:42 | Wrap-up and personal chit-chat